Design in Virtual Reality
The “Design in Virtual Reality” workshop by PAACADEMY will dive into 3d modeling and creation directly within a Virtual Reality setting via Gravity Sketch, an intuitive 3D design platform for cross-disciplinary teams to create, collaborate, and review in VR.
VR to AR studio:We’ll dive into 3d modeling and creation directly within a Virtual Reality setting via Gravity Sketch, an intuitive 3D design platform for cross-disciplinary teams to create, collaborate, and review in VR. You can create in the space around you at any scale, from concept sketches to detailed 3D models. Using the intuitive gestural toolset, we will explore and create several 3D forms in a Pavilion project and demonstrate the speed and accuracy of ideation in the tool. Viewing models outside of VR is possible with Gravity Sketch’s Landing Pad, a web-based platform allowing you to spin and export. Once exported, we’ll take a 3D sketch into Blender to UV map, optimize the geometry, and then into SparkAR Studio. In SparkAR, we’ll continue to develop the project by adding interactions and procedural animations. Once complete, we’ll upload it to your personal Instagram account. Attendees with VR headsets will have chances to enter the VR space together during the final and mid-reviews (3 at a time). If you do not have a VR headset, you can join and view it in 2D. The first workshop and reviews will take place simultaneously in VR and be displayed in 2D for viewing.
What is VR?Virtual Reality is a technology that allows users to immerse themselves in an entirely virtual world. A VR headset allows full 360-degree viewing around the user to explore, interact with space and meet friends/colleagues for collaboration.
What is AR?Augmented Reality is a technology that allows for interactive experiences which digitally enhance what can be seen, heard, and touched in the real world. It allows users to place objects and experiences within their space anchored to surfaces, images, or people.
The Scope of The Studio:
- Overview of what you can do in Gravity Sketch
- How to use Ink, Stroke, Revolve, Surface, Volume, Primitives, Sub-D
- Various methods of virtual reality form creation
- Free form sketching in a virtual reality environment
- 3D sketching over imported 3D models
- Trace over and use 2D sketches as a base
- Constrained blocking out of 3D geometry
- Exporting out VR models with Landing Pad
- UV mapping/unwrapping in Blender
- Optimizing geometry in Blender
- Import into SparkAR to animate and add interactions
- Upload to your personal Instagram profile