Computational Designer at Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
Job Title: Senior Computational Designer
Contract Type: Full Time
Date: Apr 3, 2021
[maxbutton id=”13″ url=”https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=309004&company=AdidasP” ]
The Digital Lab at SGH is an internal team focused on applying various computational approaches to real engineering practice areas in three areas of increasing complexity:
Automation/optimization of engineering tasks with data processing/analysis/transfer/visualization;
Innovative project deliverables via interactive webpages providing unique analytical content;
And machine learning across our full range of engineering services, in particular as relates to our unique in-house materials testing lab.
We are looking for a person who has a strong background in AEC practice and computational design to join our team and help develop solutions to real-world problems in the AEC industry.
You will be working as part of our growing Digital Lab team and exposed to various programming/software development skills ranging from .Net framework, web development, parametric design, to iOS development, and more.
- Create parametric and scripted computational control for 3D architectural and/or sculptural models such that both geometric and technical aspects are defined and variable.
- Produce designs for a wide range of options of structures or objects at various scales during the concept phase of a project.
- Develop computational scripts to achieve augmentations / automations of tasks typically performed by in-house engineers and improve efficiency and automation of workflows.
- Generate computational scripts and/or tools to achieve interoperability between various commercial software from different vendors. This will require knowledge and ability across visual, geometric, and analytical software packages’ API that are not normally compatible with each other. Examples of this would include Script to link Rhino / Revit to SAP / Tekla Structure (structural analysis) and Energy-Plus / DIVA (energy / daylighting analysis).
- Develop web-based applications for access by multiple participants in a design process including front-end UI/UX designs and/or Web GL controls to utilize 3D geometry in a web browser.
- Work with the SGH Digital Lab team and other employees of various technical backgrounds on structural, material, building envelope, and building science projects which may also include working on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) projects.
- Provide QA/QC for own work with oversight and final review from supervisor or project manager.
- Travel to other SGH offices to work with staff on projects; typically once every 2-3 months.
- Master’s degree in Civil/Architectural Engineering or Computational Design equivalent and experience with architectural/engineering design, including 3D modeling software (Revit and/or Rhino) and parametric control of the software (Dynamo and/or Grasshopper), OR a bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience.
- Scripting ability in C# and/or Python and understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
We are 660 professionals in offices across the United States who design, investigate, and rehabilitate structures, building enclosures, and materials. Our award-winning work encompasses building, energy, civil and infrastructure, and science and defense projects in the United States, Canada, and more than 30 additional countries.
SGH® is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email [email protected] or call 781-907-9000 and ask for Ashley Jannine.
[maxbutton id=”13″ url=”https://boards.greenhouse.io/simpsongumpertzheger/jobs/4521558002?gh_src=1be5db8a2#app” ]