Computation Urban Designer at Gensler
As an Urban Designer with emphasis on Computational and Generative Design technique you will contribute and develop strong, creative and innovative design and planning concepts supporting a breadth of project activities that include programming and analysis, conceptual design, preliminary design, final design, and production of final deliverables and reports. The ideal candidate will be able to work on projects of both urban design and architectural scale focused on research, development, and the strategic implementation of computational and generative design across the European region. This role will advance the region’s computational thinking and application throughout all phases of the design projects. In partnership with the Firmwide Cities & Urban Design Practice Area leadership you will determine the strategy and roadmap for advancement of our regional digital design practices.
What You Will Do
- Successful candidates will be focused on master planning projects in the UK and Internationally, while also gaining exposure to a wide range of design experiences within our full portfolio of integrated disciplines: architecture, interiors, graphic/industrial design and consulting.
- Lead the strategy and implementation for computational/generative design technology solutions applied to Cities & Urban Design Practice Area projects throughout the region as well as, collaborate FW
- Integrate computational thinking as part of design story-telling for our Cities and Urban design teams
- Partner with regional leadership to develop the regional strategy for Cities & Urban Design Practice Area computational design
- Author / Develop custom computational/generative design solutions for project teams during any required phase of the Cities & Urban Design process.
- Elevate our computation thinking across the Cities & Urban Design Practice Area to promote its application as a design informing mechanism not just for components iterations, but also operational / maintenance elements
- Collaborate with design teams, clients, consultants, community stakeholders and other parties to meet overall project objectives
- Collaborate with the Urban Design team to develop and advance conceptual and schematic designs on urban design and master planning projects
- Prepare graphic/narrative reports and presentations that communicate the design process, research, and concepts
- Manage presentations and production of planning and urban design projects
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination
- Enhance and optimize designs using rapid and iterative simulation techniques
- Act as a team member in coordinating and reviewing of work product
- Contribute to office activities, initiative and learning programs
- Interact through projects and other office wide initiatives with other studios and practice areas
- Expert in computational and parametric design platforms: Dynamo, Grasshopper, CityEngine
- Knowledge in Visual and Object Oriented Programming, such as: Python, VB.NET, Java, C#, C++.
- Proficiency in design tools, such as: Revit, Rhino, Sketchup, 3ds Max
- Degree in Urban Design or Planning is essential, Master’s qualification preferred
- Relevant experience as an Urban Designer with proven background in creative collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams, from concept through later stages
- Knowledge and passion for working on a variety of urban design & masterplanning projects across multiple sectors
- Experience in parametric design application to master planning projects is essential
This job description reflects the core activities of the role although there will be changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time.
Please apply for this Urban Designer role and submit your CV and brief portfolio for review. Candidates who do not meet the criteria or provide work samples will not be considered.
Life at Gensler
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical and dental insurance, season ticket loans, pension, profit sharing and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional qualifications and associated renewals and exam
fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programmes or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
Gensler is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all sections of the community. If you would like to be considered for employment opportunities with Gensler and need special assistance due to a disability, or accommodation for a disability, please provide details in your application.